Whistlestop Bookshop is an independent bookseller in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in the lovely and historic Cumberland Valley in southcentral Pennsylvania.
- A new dvd reissue of Man Bait, a British bookselling noir from 1952, inspired a clip on our Philosophy page.
- A welcome youtube posting on Whistlestop from Cookie Redding seems to fit on our Philosophy page.
- A recent blog of picking up George Eliot after a pause: Felix Holt, the Radical.
- A classic reconsidered: see my new blog post about Agatha Christie's Peril at End House.
Quick leaps to selected treasures!
More of what we do, what we offer, and what we have:
Since we are an independent bookstore, we do things differently. Here you will find:
- new books carefully selected in a comprehensive and eclectic spirit
- fine journals from Moleskine, DeComposition, Peter Pauper Press, Chronicle, Pomegranate, and Paperblanks
- quality remaindered books, cds, and dvds
- secondhand books, paperback and hardcover, reasonably priced (find us on Half.com!)
- magazines in many categories
- cards from Paper Lantern, Leanin' Tree, Compendium, Peaceable Kingdom, and local photographers Joan Navin, and Larry Rankin
- postcards, including scenes of Carlisle, Dickinson College, and the U.S. Army War College
- jazz and classical cds
- calendars in season (September through February)
- jigsaw puzzles for adults and children
- educational card decks of all kinds
- bookmarks, bookplates, totebags, and other gifts
Customer service is our goal. Among the ways we pay attention to our patrons in person or off-site are:
- quick, efficient special ordering (no extra charge)
- out-of-print searching
- free giftwrap
- gift certificates
Thanks for visiting! Check often for changes and enhancements. Above all, support your independents!