Whistlestop Bookshop is an independent bookseller in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in the lovely and historic Cumberland Valley in southcentral Pennsylvania.
Our hours are 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, 10 a.m. - 8 p.m. Thursday and Friday, and 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Saturday. Need a quick answer? Call us at 717-243-4744.
We have some signed books by Twig George as a bonus from her successful and popular appearance at The Craighead House on Saturday, October 11th: 4 copies of Pocket Guide to the Outdoors Based on My Side of the Mountain (written with her mother, Jean Craighead George); 5 copies A Dolphin Named Bob; and 4 copies of Jellies: the Life of Jellyfish. First come, first serve!
- Mary Oliver, Whistlestop's bestselling poet, has a new book of poems, Blue Horses. It is a lovely little book from Penguin Press, rich with her poetry of the natural world and its interpenetration with her life and our lives.
- Jodi Picoult's new novel is here! Leaving Time is a exploration of family, mystery, and the legacy of secrets, a thriller!
- Rick Riordan's much-anticipated next Heroes of Olympus novel, The Blood of Olympus is here!
- Marilynne Robinson, one of America's great novelists, author of Housekeeping and Gilead, is out with a new novel in her Gilead world. Lila looks as wonderful as the earlier two!
- The most popular mystery series we sell is Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache novels, featuring a thoughtful and melancholy inspector in Quebec, Canada. Voila! The new number (tenth) is here: The Long Way Home. You thought retirement would be the end? Non!
- J.K. Rowling is back! (As Robert Galbraith, her noir persona.) We have The Silkworm in hand!
- Speaking of long waits, Diana Gabaldon's new Outlander novel, Written in My Own Heart's Blood, is here at last! We have boxes of them! Find them here, if you would like to order them through our website.
- An intriguing new cultural biography of Shirley Temple and her heyday is out from an eminent American Studies prof at University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
Quick leaps to selected treasures!
More of what we do, what we offer, and what we have:
Since we are an independent bookstore, we do things differently. Here you will find:
- new books carefully selected in a comprehensive and eclectic spirit
- fine journals from Moleskine, DeComposition, Peter Pauper Press, Chronicle, and Pomegranate.
- quality remaindered books, cds, and dvds
- secondhand books online, paperback and hardcover, reasonably priced (find us on Half.com!)
- magazines in many categories
- cards from Paper Lantern, Leanin' Tree, Compendium, Peaceable Kingdom, and local photographers Joan Navin, and Larry Rankin
- postcards, including scenes of Carlisle, Dickinson College, and the U.S. Army War College
- jazz and classical cds
- calendars in season (September through February)
- jigsaw puzzles for adults and children
- educational card decks of all kinds
- bookmarks, bookplates, totebags, and other gifts
Customer service is our goal. Among the ways we pay attention to our patrons in person or off-site are:
- quick, efficient special ordering (no extra charge)
- out-of-print searching
- free giftwrap
- gift certificates
Thanks for visiting! Check often for changes and enhancements. Above all, support your independents!