Whistlestop Bookshop is an independent bookseller in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in the lovely and historic Cumberland Valley in southcentral Pennsylvania. Our hours are Monday through Wednesday 10-6, Thursday and Friday 10-8, and Saturday 10-6. During other hours we welcome messages via our voicemail, e-mail, or via our website "contact us" boxes.
- The new books, even in the stress of Winter presaging Spring, are beginning to arrive: in fiction, Chris Bohjalian's The Guest Room, Rachel Cantor's Good on Paper, Robert Harris's Dictator, Ian Rankin's Even Dogs in the Wild, Bernard Cornwell's Warriors of the Storm, Elizabeth Strout's My Name is Lucy Barton, and new collections by the fine fantasy writers Nancy Kress and Caitlin R. Kiernan; in nonfiction, Charles Moore's second volume in his magisterial Margaret Thatcher biography, and Bill Bryson's The Road to Little Dribbling and a slew of new Tudor histories. Bundle up, bundle in a stack of new books, and defy the wind and the cold!
- Great news of lovers of fine historic writing: David McCullough's new book, The Wright Brothers, has been a great success since Spring. As with the Panama Canal, the Brooklyn Bridge, Truman and Roosevelt, McCullough examines American icons for the humanity and the human stories beneath the textbook reporting. Special luck: the author reads his own work in the audiobook!
- Spring 2015: nothing compares to H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald. When it was published last Fall in the UK, it won rave reviews and prestigious prizes. At last it is available stateside, and it is picking up another round of superlative reviews (Vicki Croke on the cover of the NYT Book Review, the New Yorker, and so on). H is for Hawk is an astonishing, beautifully-written, and deeply felt memoir of grief, recovery, beauty, literary investigation, and training a goshawk. Do yourself a favor: read it, enjoy it, ponder it, celebrate a blessing of a book.
Quick leaps to selected treasures!
More of what we do, what we offer, and what we have:
Since we are an independent bookstore, we do things differently. Here you will find:
- new books carefully selected in a comprehensive and eclectic spirit
- fine journals from Moleskine, DeComposition, Peter Pauper Press, Chronicle, and Pomegranate.
- quality remaindered books, cds, and dvds
- secondhand books online, paperback and hardcover, reasonably priced (find us on Half.com!)
- magazines in many categories
- cards from Paper Lantern, Leanin' Tree, Compendium, Peaceable Kingdom, and local photographers Joan Navin, and Larry Rankin
- postcards, including scenes of Carlisle, Dickinson College, and the U.S. Army War College
- jazz and classical cds
- calendars in season (September through February)
- jigsaw puzzles for adults and children
- educational card decks of all kinds
- bookmarks, bookplates, totebags, and other gifts
Customer service is our goal. Among the ways we pay attention to our patrons in person or off-site are:
- quick, efficient special ordering (no extra charge)
- out-of-print searching
- free giftwrap
- gift certificates
Thanks for visiting! Check often for changes and enhancements. Above all, support your independents!
Ursula K. Le Guin sums it up in 6 minutes. This wonderful, wise, brave, honest, articulate woman is a great writer. We are honored to sell all of her work, from Catwings to the Earthsea books to her life-changing books of fantasy, science fiction, and lands-in-between. Here she is accepting a lifetime achievement award from the National Book Award Foundation.