Whistlestop Bookshop is an independent bookseller in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in the lovely and historic Cumberland Valley in southcentral Pennsylvania. Our hours are Monday through Wednesday 10-6, Thursday and Friday 10-8, and Saturday 10-6. During other hours we welcome messages via our voicemail, e-mail, or via our website "contact us" boxes.
The eagerly-awaited second volume of Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls has arrived!. Perfect for gifts!
A book that's lighting the bright flame of inspiration and rebellion in readers of all ages and genders? Why, Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls, of course! An order is a click away -- or visit the store to take part in the uprising!
WHISTLESTOP BOOKSHOP'S IDEA OF MARCH MADNESS IS ONE OF THE MOST ANTICIPATED NOVELS OF THE SEASON, SUSAN PERABO'S THE FALL OF LISA BELLOW. SUSAN IS THE WRITER IN RESIDENCE AT DICKINSON COLLEGE AND A FRIEND FOR DECADES OF WHISTLESTOP.
National launch here at Whistlestop Bookshop of Kim van Alkemade's new novel, March 6, 2018, 6-8 p.m.! It is a tale of family, love, money, baseball, and intrigue mostly set in Jazz Age New York City. Kim's second bestselling novel -- that's two for two!
NEIL GAIMAN IS A PILLAR OF THE STORE, A MAGICIAN WHO KEEPS US STEPPING LIVELY BETWEEN THE CHILDREN'S AREA, YOUNG ADULT, GRAPHIC LITERATURE, AND, OF COURSE, FANTASY AND SCIENCE FICTION TO SUPPLY BOOKS FOR HIS CLAMORING (PERHAPS SOFTLY MURMURING) AUDIENCE. HIS LATEST, NORSE MYTHOLOGY, IS HIS TRANSFORMATION OF NORSE TALES OF GOD AND MAGIC INTO SHORT STORIES
Make sure to check out our Instagram:
A popular new book on the irrepressible Craighead family is out by our own Tom Benjey, scholar of early football and Lone Star Dietz of the Carlisle Indian Industrial School, and published by the University of Montana Press. We have signed copies on hand! The Craigheads spent many happy and crucial summers at a rambling old farm house on Yellow Breeches Creek that is currently being restored and preserved by the Craighead House Association.
Quick leaps to selected treasures!
More of what we do, what we offer, and what we have:
Since we are an independent bookstore, we do things differently. Here you will find:
- new books carefully selected in a comprehensive and eclectic spirit
- fine journals from The Mincing Mockingbird & the Frantic Meerkat, Moleskine, DeComposition, Peter Pauper Press, Chronicle, and Pomegranate.
- quality remaindered books, cds, and dvds
- cards from Earth Sky + Water, Notes & Queries, Paper Lantern, Leanin' Tree, and Compendium
- postcards, including scenes of Cumberland Valley, Pennsylvania, and the U.S. Army War College
- jazz and classical cds
- calendars in season (September through February)
- jigsaw puzzles for adults and children
- educational card decks of all kinds
- local honey in a wide variety of packages from Tom Jones, the Happy Beekeeper
- bookmarks, bookplates, totebags, and other gifts
Customer service is our goal. Among the ways we pay attention to our patrons in person or off-site are:
- quick, efficient special ordering (no extra charge)
- out-of-print searching
- free giftwrap
- gift certificates
Thanks for visiting! Check often for changes and enhancements. Above all, support your independents!
Ursula K. Le Guin sums it up in 6 minutes. This wonderful, wise, brave, honest, articulate woman is a great writer. We are honored to sell all of her work, from Catwings to the Earthsea books to her life-changing books of fantasy, science fiction, and lands-in-between. Here she is accepting a lifetime achievement award from the National Book Award Foundation.